On Thursday, whilst Blogger was down I had a chance to play in my craft room. I'd found Claudine Hellmuth's first DVD from 2005 while cleaning & had some fun with her techniques! I took a piece of Canvas panel, slathered it up with gel medium and placed torn pages of ephemera, in this case from a book written in Chinese. After it dried, I used a wash of various acrylic paints and dabbed randomly. While it was still wet I placed masking tape pieces side by side on the canvas and started ripping them off. Where the papers are wet will cause them to separate so you actually see the underside of the ephemera. Let it dry thoroughly then remove the remaining tape pieces. To keep it all down I covered the entire panel with matte medium & let dry. Next up was the peeled paint technique, using petroleum jelly randomly as a resist to a layer of red acrylic paint. When the paint was dry, you just take a paper towel & rub off the petroleum jelly & excess paint. I love how it resembles smeared blood. Made a second sheet using sheet music for use at a later date.
I then layered a piece of black mulberry paper & a piece of silk that I fringed. It's such a pretty pattern (yeah, I found that while cleaning too
I'll be using this on the box that houses my first day covers from Edgar Allan Poe. Hope you liked it.